- Official club name: The Friendship Force of Whangarei
- Closest major airport: Auckland International, 160 km by road
- Closest regional/ local airport: Whangarei airport at Onerahi, 7 km from CBD.
- Cost of transportation between the Auckland Airport and our city: (based on 20 people)
- By bus: from $40.00 NZ pp
- By car or van hire: from $60.00 NZ pp
- By air to Onerahi, Whangarei - $75.00-$150.00 pp (35 minute flight)
- Maximum number of Ambassadors our club can host: Minimum 12, maximum 20-25.
- Our best months for hosting: March, April and May, September, October and November. This is because December through February are often busy with family time and holidays, while June, July and August can be cold and wet. However we are negotiable about these times.
About the club
The club was chartered in 1985 and currently has 75 members, generally aged 60 to 80+ years. Members are from all walks of life and varied occupations, including farming. We hold monthly club social events and varied day trips, and aim for three inward exchanges and one outward each year. We are a happy, busy active club.
About the region
Whangarei, on a sheltered spectacular harbour, is the largest city in Northland and is 150 km north of Auckland, with a district population of 80,000. The city has a variety of cafes, shops, museums, art galleries, crafts, public gardens, walks, waterfalls and restaurants. We are close to numerous sandy beaches with sheltered bays and rocky outcrops. Farming includes dairy, beef, sheep, forestry and horticulture. International and local yachts abound in our ‘Town Basin’ and marinas. Our climate is sub-tropical with a summer daytime temperature from 20 to 26° C and winter is often 14 – 18° C.
About our Programme
Incoming groups can either be met and welcomed at Auckland International Airport, or travel from Auckland to Whangarei either by bus or plane. Our preference is to meet and welcome you in Whangarei, but we can help you make the best arrival plans. We welcome you as part of our family, with many shared meals for all members. Sightseeing includes the spectacular Bay of Islands, the Matakohe Kauri Museum, the Whangarei Falls, Town Basin, Bird Recovery Centre, Quarry Gardens, oil refinery, farm visits, picnics and beaches. As well, plenty of free time to spend with hosts and other members, plus an insight into the richness of Maori culture.
We like you to bring a large map of your country/area, and be prepared to educate us and share the unique culture/items of your own country with us too, as we all make a difference towards world peace, good fellowship and understanding. We are committed to furthering the wider aims of Friendship Force International throughout the world.
Updated March 2017
SEND A MESSAGE TO THIS CLUB